Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
If you are considering bariatric surgery, we encourage you to attend our free bariatric surgery information session. You will learn about bariatric surgery options, including risks and benefits, meet bariatric team members who will support you before and after your surgery. In addition, you may also hear from patients who have had weight loss surgery.
Bariatric surgery, like other surgical procedure posts potential risks and complications.
Bariatric surgery risks include:
- Abdominal hernia
- Chest pain
- Collapsed lung
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Enlarged heart
- Gallstones, pain from passing a gallstone, inflammation of the gallbladder, or surgery to remove the gallbladder
- Gastrointestinal inflammation or swelling
- Stoma obstruction
- Stretching of the stomach
- Surgical procedure repeated
- Vomiting and nausea
- “Dumping Syndrome” – from eating high-fat, high-sugar foods which may result in vomiting, nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness, and diarrhea.
Risks associated with bariatric surgery:
- Complications due to anesthesia and medications
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Injury to stomach, esophagus, or surrounding organs
- Pulmonary embolism
- Shoulder pain
- Stroke or heart attack
For more information or to register for a free information session, call 443-777-7900.